Friday, June 11, 2010

Thinking of Abby Sunderland

I've been fortunate to do a fair amount of sailing in my life. So it was with great admiration that I followed the attempts in recent years of teenage sailors circumnavigating the globe. The recent successful voyage by Australian Jessica Watson was particularly inspiring. But I was most intrigued by the current attempt by Abby Sunderland. I've been following her blog daily and thoroughly enjoying sharing her adventure. I knew from her recent posts that she was enduring tough conditions, but I was still shocked when I heard the news yesterday that she was potentially lost at sea in a severe storm. I'm relieved to hear this morning that she has been found safe, although her boat has been incapacitated.

The photo below is from a trip to Maine and shows a "recreational" sailor enjoying perfect weather for a relaxing afternoon of sailing. Supposedly Abby was dealing with 60 knot winds and 30 ft. waves! I can't even imagine sailing in those conditions. For a 16 yr old girl to do it, solo, and in a remote part of the Indian Ocean far from help, is almost beyond my comprehension.

Abby-You're are very brave young lady and a heck of a sailor. Hope you make it home safely...



No comments:

Post a Comment